Happy Valentine’s Day! For all of my planning ahead, this is the week of the Austin Marathon, I am fighting off a cold and I’ve had a busy busy busy week, so my honey and I will be celebrating with a lovely dinner from Chipotle and a couple of Mexican Martinis. If you were looking for someone to help you feel better about your own Valentine’s Day plans… well, you’re welcome.
Valentine’s Day is an occasion to crack open a bottle of bubbly for many, though, so Cocktail Thursday obliges. If you are not feeling like a traditional glass of sparkling wine or a champagne cocktail, you can always go the unconventional route and mix up a couple of Barcelona Mules.
The Barcelona Mule is a riff on the classic Moscow Mule, made with sparkling wine in place of ginger beer, but with the added kick of ginger-infused vodka. When Freixenet sent this recipe to me to try, I was game, since I already had some ginger vodka ready to use! It was a tasty departure for your ordinary champagne cocktail, and one that I would definitely enjoy again.
- 2 oz ginger-infused vodka
- ½ oz simple syrup
- 4 oz sparkling wine (I used prosecco)
- splash of fresh lime juice
- fresh mint sprig and lime wedge, for garnish
- Combine the ginger-infused vodka and simple syrup in a shaker filled with ice. Shake and strain into a highball glass filled halfway with ice.
- Slowly pour the sparkling wine into the glass to top, and then finish with a squeeze of lime juice. Stir gently to combine.
- Serve garnished with a lime wedge and a sprig of fresh mint.