I love a good grilled cheese. It’s such a quick and easy meal to throw together with stuff you probably already have around your house. Add some soup or a handful of french fries, and call it a meal… and it’s done in 15 minutes or less. Gotta love that.
I like to experiment with my grilled cheese (which should come as no great surprise), and this one, discovered years ago by the hubby, is my all-time favorite. Pair some nice sharp cheddar with a sweet-and-spicy chipotle paste, a spring of cilantro, some thinly sliced red onion and/or a juicy tomato slice (depending on which if any of those things you happen to have in your fridge at the time), slap it between two pieces of sourdough bread and grill it to perfection. So very delicious.
I will let you in on my secret to perfect grilled cheese every time: butter. Lots of it. Slather that bread on both sides, and don’t be afraid to let it brown a little beyond what you might usually to ensure the cheese gets nice and melty.
The chipotle paste that adds extra zing to this grilled cheese is quick and easy to throw together, and we usually make a larger batch and freeze the leftovers for future use. Try it and enjoy! And happy Grilled Cheese Month!
- 1 6-oz can tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp chopped chipotles in adobo
- 1 Tbsp molasses
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 1 lb sharp Cheddar, thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes, cut into thin slices (optional)
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- butter (at room temperature)
- Blend the tomato paste, chipotles and molasses together in a food processor.
- You'll use about half the paste on 4 grilled cheese sandwiches; reserve the remainder for future use. It freezes well.
- Spread about 1 Tbsp of the chipotle paste on each of 4 slices of the bread. Top with sliced cheese, tomato slices, onion and cilantro (if using). Top with the remaining slices of bread and spread generously with butter.
- Heat a griddle over medium-high heat and grill buttered-side down until well browned.
- Butter the other side of the bread and flip. Grill until well browned and cheese is nice and melty.
- Remove to a plate or cutting board, cut in half (triangles or rectangles, I don't judge) and enjoy!