I just finished re-reading one of my favorite books, The Great Gatsby. Of course, everyone is excited about because there’s a new movie out (and, yes, I am planning to see it at my earliest opportunity), but I just love being transported back to the world of the Roaring 20s. And it’s just a fantastic piece of literature. But today, I’m talking about it from a purely nostalgic point of view (that is, if one can be nostalgic for a time period in which one was never actually alive).
If you’d like to get in character and pretend you’re partying on Jay Gatsby’s lawn, you’re in luck — that is, at least if you’re in Austin (or one of the other cities with a Sullivan’s*). Sullivan’s is hosting a Gatsby Gala tomorrow evening, complete with dining, dancing and 20s-era cocktails and dishes. Guests are encouraged to come in full 1920s style and enjoy some delicious food, including a few vegetarian options, like deviled eggs and oysters (yes, I think oysters are arguably vegetarian).
And the cocktails — Oh, the cocktails! You all know I’m a sucker for classic cocktails, and they’ll have a few delicious-sounding ones on tap for the gala. I’m pleased to share the recipes with you, courtesy of Sullivan’s. Cheers!
- 1½ oz Tanquerey Gin
- ¾ oz St Germaine
- ¾ oz Triple Sec
- 1 oz lemon juice
- Lemon Twist
- Combine all ingredients in a boston shaker.
- Shake 10-15 times and strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with a lemon twist.
- 1¼ oz SKYY Moscato Grape Infusions
- ½ oz Aperol
- 2 oz lemon sour
- 1 oz soda water
- Orange twist
- In an iced boston shaker, add Vodka, Aperol and lemon sour.
- Shake 5-10 times to combine, add soda water and strain into an ice-filled tall glass.
* I did not receive any compensation for this post. I just happen to think Sullivan’s has an awesome party planned and I wanted to share! Photos and recipes are all courtesy of Sullivan’s.