I said I was going to start with simple recipes, right? Well, this is about as simple as it gets. Overnight oats. Mix one part oats, one part liquid and one part yogurt,* plus whatever spices, berries, nuts or other flavorings you’d like. Refrigerate overnight. Eat for breakfast.
*Or two parts liquid, if yogurt’s not your thing, or two parts keifer if you want to get crazy.
With temperatures rising (mostly) and spring well on its way to summer, who wants to make hot oatmeal in the morning? Plus, this is ready as soon as you open the fridge. No pans, no waiting, no muss, no fuss. Perfect for those hectic mornings when you just need to get everyone out the door and on their way.
The best part, though, is that it’s completely customizable. Sub almond, coconut or soy milk, or even water, for dairy milk. Use flavored yogurt, or use plain (I prefer Greek yogurt for the extra protein) and add some honey, maple syrup or agave to sweeten it. Add some cinnamon, raisins, dried cranberries, chocolate chips, vanilla — whatever. Subbing in some pumpkin puree for the yogurt and adding pumpkin pie spice makes a delicious fall treat. Finish it off with some fresh fruit (blueberries, strawberries or banana slices spring to mind) or pecans or walnuts in the morning, if you like.
Any way you slice it, it makes a delicious start to the morning, and — best of all — it is thoroughly Nora-approved!
Here’s a recipe for one of our latest favorites: Strawberry Coconut Overnight Oats. Enjoy!
- ⅓ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ⅓ cup coconut milk (or other milk)
- ⅓ cup strawberry keifer (or substitute plain yogurt with a bit of honey to sweeten)
- 2 Tbsp dried unsweetened coconut flakes (or more, to taste)
- sliced fresh strawberries for topping
- Mix the oats, milk, keifer and coconut together in a container with a lid.
- Refrigerate overnight. Serve cold, topped with sliced strawberries.